We’re great fans of Southwest Airlines and we take every opportunity to tell great stories about this madly inspiring airline company. The Happy Startup School wrote a piece on Southwest yesterday and it adds new intriguing dimensions and examples of great culture to the company.
Southwest Airlines has remained profitable in every single of its 42 years of existence, even after the events of 9/11. In fact post-9/11 they didn’t fire one single employee. And bear in mind that this feat has been accomplished because they invest heavily in their culture, not despite it. They offer their employees:
- Free flights across the world
- Competitive Retirement Plans
- Free Health Insurance
- Freedom to Create and Innovate (whatever your role)
- Extensive Training Opportunities and Character Building Programmes
- Happiness, everyday in their 9-5